Sunday, February 3, 2008

First Impressions

So far, I have been on the ship at sea for 8 days. We stopped in Puerto Rico for 3 fantastic days and I was able to see and do some really fun stuff. I walked around San Juan for the first day and also experienced the Bioluminescent Bay the first night. The second day was very relaxing and some friends and I walked around the open air market in the afternoon, took some pictures, and slowly made our way to the beach just before sunset. We were back on the ship for dinner and then went out dancing that night. It was a lot of fun and my shoulders even got some sun!! On Monday, our last day in Puerto Rico, I went on a tour of a Psychiatric Hospital. With my experience as a nursing student, I found it quite interesting to see a bit of healthcare in another country. However, because Puerto Rico is a US Territory, they abide by our federal laws. Hence, much of the hospital was the same, but it was interesting to see, nonetheless. Monday afternoon I toured the Bacardi factory then stopped for some traditional Puerto Rican food before heading back to the ship in plenty of time for our departure at 11pm. We have since been on our way to Brazil. I don’t have anything planned for Brazil, but I am eager to see and do some more independent travel and perhaps even work on getting some sun!!
Classes are going well. They are very interesting with very experienced and qualified professors. I am amazed at how much I am learning in the classroom on this voyage. I thought the classes were just the required stuff and the countries and their cultures would be the eye opening part. It’s turning out to be very well rounded which just excites me all the more.
On ship life… I have made good friends with several of the 20 work study students and although we have been stickin it out with each other since the beginning, we have met a few others along the way. This voyage has the largest student population than any previous Semester at Sea voyage and it is truly incredible to be “stuck” on a ship with so many people from so many different places and backgrounds. My roommate and I get along really well. In fact, we both were awarded the work study scholarship and were able to meet two days before the ship left Nassau. She’s one of the people I’ve been spending a lot of time with and I am really grateful that is working out as well as it is. The food is great. Each meal is an all you can eat buffet with a full wait staff. I have been eating more than enough at each of my three meals. The ship crew, including the wait staff in the dining halls, is absolutely incredible. They are by far the best workers in customer service I have ever come in contact with. They are all so polite and will bend over backwards for you at anytime. It is very nice be taken care of in that way, but a little hard to get used to. I feel very spoiled by them. For instance, if you leave your cabin for breakfast or for a class in the morning, your bed will be made, clothes folded, linens replaced (room in order) by the time you return. Above that, the crew really seems to enjoy doing it. Another example, the crew will nearly follow you to your seat in the dining hall to ask you what you want to drink before you even sit down, or be there to take your tray immediately, or remove your plate from the table before you’ve decided if you really want the last bite or not. They are incredible people who also come from all over the world and have unique stories themselves. Tomorrow is the first laundry day…how exciting!! 3Until next time, I will be en route to Brazil and will have lots to share about my experiences there as we will be there for 5 days. Feel free to post any questions or email them to me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jamie,

Loving your blog so far. Tammy and I will be regular readers! We are so excited for you!